Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day Twenty: 1st Blackburn

1st Blackburn, Blackburn Hamlet, Ottawa.

This makes my top five list of best local badges I have ever seen. It is simple and uses very standard heraldic imagery that would look fine as a coat of arms but simple enough to be highly recognizable on a small (OK medium) sized badge. This is probably the reason that it looks like 1st Backburn are still using it 30 years later.

This is the group where I moved from Cubs to Scouts, Sea Scouts actually. My dad was the Scoutmaster for the Sea Scout unit. We had the old-fashioned hard, flat navy caps you only see on Cadets these days. Every meeting we would assemble a "mast" from dowels stored in, and then attached to, a large box. Raising and lowering the flags seemed like a very complex operation in Sea Scouts.

I was there until half way through grade seven before Dad was transferred to Halifax. I think it is kind of funny that I was in Sea Scouts in a very inland location and I moved to a "regular" scout troop in the largest naval town in Canada.

No comments: