Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day Thirteen: Venturer Service Award

Venturer Service Award.
Taken from my uniform I earned this with the 5th Arbutus Venturers. If I remember correctly the service I performed was as a Scouter-in-training with the associated Scout troop under Scouter Ben Luck.

As I lived on the base across a playing field and a parking lot from the meeting place it was easy to get to. The difficulty came in that it was a military facility and so we could not have keys to open the gate around the building. At the time (c.1980) the thought of a portable phone was ridiculous for a high-school student so it was something of a pain to contact the guard shack at the main gate of the base if the gate was locked. Usually I had to wait for someone to arrive in a car and they would drive across the base to get someone to open it up.

I had fun being a leader-in-training but that was my last contact with Scouting as a youth. After I graduated high-school and began attending university I found something else that fired my imagination with visions of chivalric knights and noble deeds for the next decade: the Society for Creative Anachronism.

No comments: