Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 33: Scout Badge

The Scout badge from my uniform.

As an invested Scout this was the badge I was given to wear on my uniform. This may be the first badge I have to sew on from my old uniform that does not seem to exist any more. I cannot find it on the Scouts Canada website anyway. Maybe I should borrow my son's Scout Handbook and check.

It is such an iconic badge with the fleur de lys over the maple leaf. I suppose it was the least necessary of the badges and a good candidate for elimination. They get epaulettes, a necker and group badges on investiture now I suppose. What's one more badge?

Of course, I get the feeling that some people would like to eliminate the badges altogether. Mostly the parents who feel guilty that they have not sewn them on. Speaking of which, I should help my son and daughter with their badges (uniform and campfire blanket).

2 comments:

Trevor Page said...

This badge was no longer used after the program changes in the late nineties (the chevrons for each 'class' of Scout went below it; now they use two half circles and this stage of the badge is not used).

Trevor Page said...
This comment has been removed by the author.