Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 23: Seneca District

Seneca District (Now part of Seneca Waterways Council) , New York, BSA or perhaps Seneca District, Pennsylvania.

I stumbled across a badge reference site a while ago but I have to wonder why so many scouting websites (virtually every one I have visited) don't put their badges on the front page, heck any page. The Burlington District (coincidentally another Native American badge design)was one of the few I found with a good picture. Of course, they were justifiably proud of their new badge and had a lovely graphic that actually showed three versions one after the other.

I like this particular badge for its colourful design. I suspect the stylized Native American is no longer considered appropriate but at least the design is distinct from the generic "plains indian" design so often reproduced for sports teams and, as we have seen, Scout groups.

I wonder if encouraging scouts attending World Jamborees should be encouraged to make notes on and/or take photos of the people they trade with. As a youth I was just happy to trade but now I wish I had some idea who I was trading with. I suspect I may have missed some of the fun of badge trading.

No comments: