Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 35: Grand Canyon Railway

My souvenir from the Grand Canyon.   
During our 2008 road trip we made it all the way to the Grand Canyon. We actually stayed in the town of Williams, Arizona and took the train to the Canyon. A steam locomotive ride was preceded by a gunfight and on the return journey the train was "held up" by the bandits.

We did it as a day trip and I quite enjoyed the ride. Colin, at two years old, was a little too young to enjoy the ride. I would recommend staying at "the rim" overnight if possible as we spent more time on the train than we did on the rim of the canyon.

Not that I mind so much. I have never been good with heights but have not been bothered for many years. I was able to walk with the stroller on the path along the canyon rim and even look over a little bit. There were however several times when I froze and had to make myself move. I watched my wife and two older kids go out on a promontory and even got them on video from the relative safety behind a fence at the edge.

Oh, and yes, it was beautiful beyond description. My daughter even said it looked like a painting without any prompting.

No comments: