Friday, March 12, 2010

Day Nineteen: Matebeleland

Matabeleland, Zimbabwe.

One of my more exotic badges and one which I think I actually remember trading. I was trading with a South African Scouter of East Indian decent who was there as part of the "mixed" contingent. It was the height of world pressure on South Africa over Apartheid. They were allowed to participate in the jamboree only if they integrated the contingent. Even so, the Scouter seemed a little uncomfortable. I don't think he really felt "integrated".

Since I always thought this was a South African badge I never realized I did not actually got a South African badge from him.

One other thing:  I think the South Africans had the coolest hiking caps. They were based on the peaked military caps with the neck flap that was usually worn folded up. One of the most versatile and practical caps ever. And try as I might I cannot find any pictures to show you what I mean.

No comments: