Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 57: Year of the Scout

The other day I did the 2007 anniversary badge and this one popped out of the "to do" bag today.

I seem to recall this 75th Anniversary badge was provided by the WOSM, the main international Scouting association, and distributed to all. I found examples of it on US and UK collector sites.

It has a nicely designed logo but compared to the badges produced here in Canada at the time it certainly lacks something. OK, maybe we go a bit overboard in producing richly embroidered badges for events... and I wish I had something witty or amusing to end with but the reality is we spend a lot of money on these.

They are more durable than photographs. They age better than T-shirts, coins or snow globes on your blanket and certainly get more exposure. They provide conversation starters when you are at a camp with people you barely know. They can teach history and geography.

They may be a bit indulgent but I think it is an indulgence we can afford.

No comments: