Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 40: WILU 2004

An obscure, non-scouting event and not even a real badge but a work of art.

This was an embroidery on a back pack given out as swag at the 2004 Workshop on Instruction in Library Use hosted at the University of Victoria (where I work.) Designed by artist and Librarian Tad Suzuki the logo is an homage to the famous Japanese printmaker Hokusai and in particular his 36 Views of Mt Fuji. I especially like how Tad replaced the Kanji label with "Mt Baker" which is the mountain pictured through the wave (and visible from the upper floors of some buildings on campus.

For several years my kids used the backpack but last year it died. I had to save the "badge" and carefully cut it off the backpack and sewed it on the blanket. It was not easy and next time I'll leave a little more of the backpack fabric around the edge to sew through. 

No comments: