Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 51: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi

My favorite character from the Jungle Book and my first "name" as a Cub Leader.  

Before I was "Akela" I was "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" - usually "Rikki" for short. I always loved the tough little mongoose who defeated Nag and Nagina the cobras.

It may have been because this story from Kipling's book had the best television or movie adaptation I have ever seen. Chuck Jones who did Tom and Jerry cartoons and How the Grinch Stole Christmas when I was a kid produced the animated version of this story narrated by Orson Welles. Certainly this was a much better story than the crappy Disney Version I mistakenly bought for my kids a couple years ago. I had not seen it since I was a kid - if I ever did see the whole thing - and what a disappointment. The first part was OK and "Bear Necessities" is one of my favorite songs but the last third especially was ridiculous.

No comments: